Hiatus

Two reasons for hiatus:
- Creating second blog.
- The deep pit of self criticism is getting deeper the more I try to crawl out of it.

Monday, February 1, 2016

Learning learning

They say you learn while you live or each knowledge you get now will for sure be useful later :D Sure I am jobless but helping out at my last working place gives me also new knowledges. 

Today I felt like a student again :D Notes in one hand, instructions in other while my ex-coworker explained it to me how to work with a Book scanner, how to edit the files, save etc. and make OCR and word files out of the pictures you scanned. Great work for blind and partially sighted people who are computer literate because this way they can read through braille line or let the text-to-sound do it for them :D 

Actually any kind of scanning with propper software is possible to make this but I must say the actual Book scanner is better. Why?

Once you turn off the light and let only those two big lights shine, the contrast of the paper vs. words is better and easier + the mystical environment haha :D 

Kidding that shouldn't be the first pro to it :D Actually what I find best about it isn't well visible on the picture below but the middle part is movable and adjusts to the book's spine so it isn't bending too much or that you don't hurt a book you scan too much (remember my entry about treating books well!!) :D 

Also it is simple as you can see the scanned page directly on the screen beside it and if it didn't turn out well you can simply fix the book and do the same page again. 

The practical thing to it is also three ways to hit a 'scan' button :D There is that typical mouse click in the program but there are also two buttons to the machine. One is visible there on a white surface just above the table and the other is on the floor so you can also hit it with your foot :D 

The hardest part comes after it once you have the word document before it and you have to fix the mistakes the scanner made. It often "reads" characters wrong and creates funny words out of it but am sure I can handle that as well or I'll just read it all through :D Luckily my first book has only like 50 word pages :D And there are two others waiting on this desk for me :D Fighting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment