Hiatus

Two reasons for hiatus:
- Creating second blog.
- The deep pit of self criticism is getting deeper the more I try to crawl out of it.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

No work / work

I had my work consultant this week for more or less paperwork. I applied for a new workshop which will go on in October for 6 days (together 24 hours). I don't know the exact dates yet but it still is a long time till then. 

The purpose of the workshop is: 
"activation and motivation to solve unemployment in a way to gain skills to find your own interests, competences, skills to find a job, communication and social skills and skills to lead your own career". 
I think this will really do me good. Sounds like looking more deep inside of you with help of someone else. On my next consultant appointment which is in November I gotta bring my new CV, introduction letter and contact card that will be products of the workshop. 



***

Some friends of mine know I help at the library where I used to work before. It is sometimes tough to go there, knowing you aren't really employed there but it is also doing me really good as well. 
A) it is better than being stuck at home; 
B) we all get along really well there, like family; 
C) as long as they give me work there it means they need me and maybe if I hang on for a bit longer, a situation might change. 
As they say having a contact somewhere is fastest way to get a job. My boss said to me in 2015 when he took me in for a year that he would rather take me because he knows me from my practicum than someone totally new. He trusts me, knows how I am towards work, towards people, etc. I think he is holding on to my thread as well or he wouldn't give me work to do. 
The work is actually pilling up because it doesn't go faster :) I told him other day: "I'm sorry it doesn't go faster, I'm picky and want to do it well." He said: "And this is right. Do it well. I don't like when it is done half-heartedly." Yesterday I showed him how I will do some textbooks (look belooow). I did first few pages and went to show him for approval before I continue. He really praised me *all high* :D 

To explain more. Currently I work mostly on textbooks for blind/partially sighted/dyslexic for students so they have easier way of studdying. I get pille of textbooks, scan them, edit the scanned pictures (cutting black edges, splitting the two pages in half, errasing any messy spots, making sure the pages are all straight). Then you tell the program to read the file, by doing so it identifies what is picture (red), what is text (green), what is table (blue) etc. I added one english example below there. And you go through it all to see if the markings are done right, it usually isn't :P Then I save them as PDF and OCR formats and if needed also as document format (for that look below). Until this point it usually takes 3-4 hours per one textbook. 
So if you get the wish that they would need also a document format of the textbook, you export it from the point above. Then there comes second long part (but not boring) :D I actually have to read it through, edit mistakes that were done when picture-to-text was done (e can easily become c and similar) and the organisation of the text which is in normal textbooks done messy but for a blind person you have to do it so it makes sense. I show my curent example below. On top is the PDF picture. In actually document I errase some points that aren't important for the actual text (here it is the red circles). Then the green arrows indicate that the two side textes have to come after the poem. The blue circles show visual things that blind don't see actually so you have to do it in a different way. Here the half circle picture in original is the * in edited text. Or the blue circles in questions are marked as > in edited text. The same problem is with purple circled thingies. Those are pictures but instead of pictures I write the text like: glossary. And if there are important pictures, you need to write a description below the picture. 

Fun? Yes! Easy? No :D 
Takes a lot of concentration to do it all right. The book from this example has 500+ pages so it will take a while. 
That is how my days are lately :) Even got myself some stuff to work from home :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment